Important alert: (current site time 4/24/2014 7:58:00 AM EDT)

winzip icon

Make desktop icon text background transparent!

Email
Submitted on: 8/22/2000 12:33:36 AM
By: em   
Level: Intermediate
User Rating: By 24 Users
Compatibility: VB 5.0, VB 6.0
Views: 37538
(About the author)

Ever wanted to make the butt ugly block of colour behind desktop icon's text disappear through code? well, now you can! I searched the net hi and low for VB code to do this but to no avail, so I wrote this. To my knowledge it's the FIRST EVER VB code for this, so check it out. It's only been tested on Win 9x & Win ME. Take a peek at my site at http://www.em.f2s.com if you like this code. Hope you learn something =)

winzip iconDownload code

Note: Due to the size or complexity of this submission, the author has submitted it as a .zip file to shorten your download time. Afterdownloading it, you will need a program like Winzip to decompress it.Virus note:All files are scanned once-a-day by Planet Source Code for viruses, but new viruses come out every day, so no prevention program can catch 100% of them. For your own safety, please:
  1. Re-scan downloaded files using your personal virus checker before using it.
  2. NEVER, EVER run compiled files (.exe's, .ocx's, .dll's etc.)--only run source code.
  3. Scan the source code with Minnow's Project Scanner

If you don't have a virus scanner, you can get one at many places on the net including:McAfee.com

Terms of Agreement:   
By using this code, you agree to the following terms...   
  1. You may use this code in your own programs (and may compile it into a program and distribute it in compiled format for languages that allow it) freely and with no charge.
  2. You MAY NOT redistribute this code (for example to a web site) without written permission from the original author. Failure to do so is a violation of copyright laws.   
  3. You may link to this code from another website, but ONLY if it is not wrapped in a frame. 
  4. You will abide by any additional copyright restrictions which the author may have placed in the code or code's description.

Other 5 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to tell us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
This submission should be removed because:

Your Vote

What do you think of this code (in the Intermediate category)?
(The code with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor (See voting log ...)

Other User Comments

8/22/2000 1:12:46 AMPure

=) Thanx for the code BTW whats the backround picture ;)
(If this comment was disrespectful, please report it.)

8/22/2000 1:13:06 AMM3741

You need that color so that you could see what the text says because most people have background graphics. But, this is a good idea anyways and a since it is the first of its kind. -Metal

8/22/2000 2:37:36 AM:: em ::

heh, Pure, if you wanna see that pic go to my site n click on the eye candy button :)

8/22/2000 7:32:26 AMAtilla Duran

nice......

8/22/2000 10:21:26 AMSteve

Please post your backgound picture.

;-)

8/22/2000 10:21:33 AMSteve

Please post your background picture.

;-)

8/22/2000 10:22:41 AMSteve

It will only work with ActiveDesktop disabled... Anyone knows why ?

8/22/2000 10:43:00 AMKenneth

Nice been looking for this for a long time to. Only thing I can find that needs improvement is if you refresh the desktop it goes back the way it was also if an association was mase it goes back but thats from the desktop getting refreshed again. But good work.

8/22/2000 5:42:06 PMBiofreak

This doesn't work in windows 2k. Good work though.

8/22/2000 6:56:56 PM:: em ::

Just to anwser some ?'s...you can find that pic at my site, it's christy turlington, read my reply to Pure above. To kenneth: to make it stay transparent you'd need to subclass the form and make it intercept and react to the WM_SETREDRAW message

8/27/2000 5:27:48 AMJolyon Bloomfield

An interesting bit of code.
On Planet-Source-Code somewhere else in the VB section, there's code that changes another of the properties of that list control; the only difference here is the message that's sent.
But a good piece of code anyway.
Well done

9/13/2000 8:15:32 PMSycho

Well to clear this up, it works perfect in Win 2K. Plus it works just fine with Active Desktop on too.

9/29/2000 8:15:56 AMbbuskey

It does work on NT 4, SP6a AND Windows 2000 Pro SP1. I tested on both.

9/29/2000 6:22:29 PMtwister

Excellent, works on NT Server 4.0 sp6a

9/29/2000 8:36:34 PMBrian T

It works nice, but for me when you select an icon then select another one, the previous one stays blue in the background... But otherwise, nice code!

10/1/2000 2:45:52 PMxvaporx

great code bro. I've been looking for this for a few weeks. I'll be checking out your site. Oh and is there a way that you can execute this program at start up by putting the program in the start folder and having it minimize itself and to they trayicon by the time and clicking the "make transparent" button when Windows98 starts up?

10/6/2000 8:50:49 AMopello

Actually, I have modified this program to use a tray icon, and to put itself in the Run section of the registry, so it will start up every time. I haven't worked out all bugs yet (i don't think anyway) ... mail me, and I'll send it to you zipped. Also, author, if you want it, I can send it, just mail me first :)

10/20/2000 6:30:38 AMMichiel

Great effort!

Been adding some stuff like GUI, colorpicker and command parameter. Source and screenschot at http://home.kiszer.net/~michiel/DesktopIconsTrans.exe
(WinRar self-extract exe)
TODO: subclassing desktop refresh.

11/12/2000 9:22:38 AMLoreno Heer

Have you rewritten the java sample-code from microsoft. There was a code who also allows to change the desktop-listbox-style, I've tried a long time to write the same in vb. Good work!

10/20/2004 8:47:06 PM

i need to know howd to do this from start to finsih how do i use the file!! :)

7/7/2007 10:26:52 PMBrianMcCumber

This is great! I am still running 98 and this is really cool. If I can find a way to make it persist, I will post an update.

Great
Job!!

Add Your Feedback
Your feedback will be posted below and an email sent to the author. Please remember that the author was kind enough to share this with you, so any criticisms must be stated politely, or they will be deleted. (For feedback not related to this particular code, please click here instead.)

To post feedback, first please login.