article

How to test your PHP website on your home computer (LAMP)

Email
Submitted on: 1/2/2015 9:45:00 PM
By: snowboardr (from psc cd)  
Level: Beginner
User Rating: By 3 Users
Compatibility: PHP 3.0, PHP 4.0, PHP 5.0
Views: 4850

This tutorial I cover how to test a PHP site locally on your home system easily. No need to use IIS and install MySQL database, phpMyAdmin, Apache, separately this tutorial shows you software packages (LAMP) to do all of this in one install and have a local server running in less than 10 minutes!

When I was first starting to switch over to PHP way back when, I was sticking with IIS (Windows Information Server) like glue. Because I was unaware of any other solutions at the time. In fact there are many software bundles what is known as LAMP which stands for Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP, Perl, or Python.
Compatibility
Since Apache can run on windows you can run most of these packages if not all on your home pc or laptop with little to no effort at all! Its an all in one web tool, which installs all the necessary tools and allows you to create PHP driven websites big and small without having to upload to a server to test. It is a must have for anyone building any type of website or if you are trying to learn web design. On Mac or Linux? Don't worry you are not left out of the loop, there is a LAMP package for you, you can check out XAMPP.
Which one is the right one?
There are many different types of these software packages available for FREE (Some of them are not free) and each include a different feature set than the next. So its up to you to choose which one works for your particular project. You can take a look at the Comparison chart of WAMP Software packages to find out some of the features each one has and which versions of Apache, php, MySql, and phpmyadmin use.
WampServer
For the last few years I have been using WampServer and it seems like a pretty good solution to me, its super easy to setup its FREE and allows you easy access to the power of PHP and Apache. It also has the ability to change the version of PHP or Apache you are using so you can easily match your online server settings. With Wamp you can even install WordPress locally on your system and you only have to modify a few files which WordPress tells you how to do this in the install process. I have tried XAMPP before but it seems a little bit more "laggy" in certain situations, like restarting your local server etc..
Setting up WampServer takes about 10 minutes depending on your internet connection
View my blog to read how to setup WampServer (with screen shots)
http://vzio.com/learn_web-design_development/how-to-build-test-your-phpmysql-website-locally_aka_lamp/

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to tell us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
This submission should be removed because:

Your Vote

What do you think of this article (in the Beginner category)?
(The article with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor (See voting log ...)

Other User Comments

There are no comments on this submission.

Add Your Feedback
Your feedback will be posted below and an email sent to the author. Please remember that the author was kind enough to share this with you, so any criticisms must be stated politely, or they will be deleted. (For feedback not related to this particular article, please click here instead.)

To post feedback, first please login.