Important alert: (current site time 11/1/2014 12:49:11 AM EDT)

winzip icon

Access Password Finder (97 and 2000)

Email
Submitted on: 10/15/1999
By: Dan Fogelberg  
Level: Not Given
User Rating: By 8 Users
Compatibility: VB 5.0, VB 6.0
Views: 62984

*** Updated on 10/18/99 --> See comments below *** This is a handy little routine for retrieving forgotten passwords out of Access97 and 2000. Do not abuse this. This should be used only for databases you originally had permissions to and forgot the password.

winzip iconDownload code

Note: Due to the size or complexity of this submission, the author has submitted it as a .zip file to shorten your download time. Afterdownloading it, you will need a program like Winzip to decompress it.Virus note:All files are scanned once-a-day by Planet Source Code for viruses, but new viruses come out every day, so no prevention program can catch 100% of them. For your own safety, please:
  1. Re-scan downloaded files using your personal virus checker before using it.
  2. NEVER, EVER run compiled files (.exe's, .ocx's, .dll's etc.)--only run source code.
  3. Scan the source code with Minnow's Project Scanner

If you don't have a virus scanner, you can get one at many places on the net including:McAfee.com

Terms of Agreement:   
By using this code, you agree to the following terms...   
  1. You may use this code in your own programs (and may compile it into a program and distribute it in compiled format for languages that allow it) freely and with no charge.
  2. You MAY NOT redistribute this code (for example to a web site) without written permission from the original author. Failure to do so is a violation of copyright laws.   
  3. You may link to this code from another website, but ONLY if it is not wrapped in a frame. 
  4. You will abide by any additional copyright restrictions which the author may have placed in the code or code's description.

Other 2 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to tell us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
This submission should be removed because:

Your Vote

What do you think of this code (in the Not Given category)?
(The code with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor (See voting log ...)

Other User Comments

10/15/1999 11:57:00 PMRaj

Is a similar exe available for breaking
the password of
MSWord Applications.
Bye
(If this comment was disrespectful, please report it.)

10/16/1999 3:34:00 AMJohn

I am looking for a password craker for VBA in MS Word version 97 and 2000

John

10/16/1999 6:28:00 PMPatrick

I have just downloaded the code, haven't tried it yet; but I want say thank you very much, because I know this kind of code is not easy to find at all.

10/18/1999 5:21:00 AMDan Fogelberg

Note: There is a problem with the Access2000 on some DB's. I will see if I can figure it out. It appears to modify the values on some db's and not others. If anyone else figures it out first let me know. Thanks.

10/18/1999 6:33:00 AMDan Fogelberg

I fixed a problem with it not accurately returning 2000 passwords. If anyone finds any other problems let me know. Thank you Larry for pointing it out!

10/19/1999 6:58:00 AMDan Fogelberg

Well guys it appears that I do not yet understand the Access2000 password scheme. I had 6 out of 6 mdb's working yesterday, but today I made a 7th and
it does not return the correct password. So I will continue to investigate....If you would like to look at the problem too...please do and post whatever you find here.
It appears that the xor string changes based on the day you create it, but I have not found the pattern or encoding scheme yet.
I noted that there is 6 bytes that change in every file starting at pos 114, but it does not appear to correlate to the xor string since the xor string stays the same between multiple files created on the same day. Any ideas???

10/26/1999 3:24:00 PMSean Street

does it have any correlation between the hard drive serial number per chance?

10/26/1999 3:39:00 PMDan Fogelberg

Sean,
No it appears to be date based, since on the same machine it generates different values on different days. When and if I figure it out I will post it here.

11/1/1999 2:45:00 PMJorgeL

In my VB has a msg of error the what
say 'La clave Retained no es valida'
The password Retained not is Valid
Help me

11/27/1999 9:27:00 AMrh

Try opening up the Visual Basic Project file (*.vbp) in a simple text editor like notepad and delete the 'Retained' key. It will probably look something like this;

Retained=0

or;

Retained=1

Hope this helps!

P.S. I think this is to do with version conflicts in VB, and there maybe other, not so easily fixed problems.

12/5/1999 2:25:00 PMfrank

I fixed the access2000 password problem.
not neat but works.
brute force the 256 posables

For i = 0 To 255
For x = 1 To 40
If (x - 1) Mod 4 = 0 Then
intChar = ch(x) Xor sec2(x) Xor i
txtPass(1).Text = txtPass(1).Text & Chr(intChar)
Else
intChar = ch(x) Xor sec2(x)
txtPass(1).Text = txtPass(1).Text & Chr(intChar)
End If
Next x
'test if password is correct
'opendatafile(password,filepath)
If opendatafile(txtPass(1).Text, txtFileName.Text) = True Then
Label1.Visible = False
Exit Sub
Else
txtPass(1).Text = ""
End If
Next i

1/7/2000 4:21:42 AMGregg

It works... I just would like to ask if there is any for word 97...

1/13/2000 1:33:40 AMtronghiep

It's very good. thanks your code

1/28/2000 8:41:54 AMWes

Hmmm. . . Since this code can be found at trigeminal's website (www.trigeminal.com) you probably should be a little more careful about claiming to have written it.

Yes, cracking passwords for Access2000 (Jet4.0) is a totally different beast.

1/28/2000 9:44:50 AMRon

Access 2000 key is alot different than 97.
The key IS date based on the database creation date. Every 8th day is a rotating key that has 32 keys. That means that the key repeats every (32 * 8)=256 days.
Starting with byte 67 every other byte makes up the key. every fourth byte is a rotating key. The key is created in eight day chunks. The outter key takes one on the inner keys and adds values to it to create 8 days worth of keys. the inner key is repeating every 32 times. So the Access 2k key repeats every (32 * 8)-256 days. You can either create two keys or one key that repeats every 256 kays. I will publish my version of the program as soon as I can. RL

1/28/2000 10:09:59 PMHemo

A Note to Wes:
Dan isn't claiming to have written it. In fact, he explicity states he obtained the original source from usenet and translated it to VB. I myself have C source for this but never ported it. Can't even remember where I got mine from. I also notce that the two codes don't match up very well.
Code from trigeminal's site does a 1 to 19 for:next loop on the Xor, and Dan's only does a 1 to 17.

What's the difference here?

2/11/2000 4:43:07 AMDeleriouS

YO YO, this code kicks total anal, cause it works!!!!
nice job budd!!!!!

7/19/2000 4:52:04 PMKayhan

have done many password crackers including word97 and word2000 but did not have this one. thanx for the code. will fix it and repost it if needed soon.

9/1/2000 6:59:46 PMDavid Midkiff

MS Word read only passwords can be instantly recovered if you open the file in a hex editor. The password is stored in clear text format near the word file information.

As for Word 97/2000 password protected files. The passwords aren't stored in the file. It just encrypts the whole file using some very powerful encryption schemes. It's not that easy to crack ... altho you could pay $100 to get one of those programs to crack it. But who cares?

9/5/2000 3:46:03 PMPeter Gurton

The password section is great. Is there any code to crack the permissions in access databases, I have an old CD with data on it that I want to import and update

9/5/2000 3:48:48 PMPeter Gurton

The password finder is great, now I need code to crack the permissions in Access. I have an old CD with lots of data on it that I want to import and update. Currently it is read only through it's own (very poor) front end

4/8/2001 11:23:17 PMJohn

This code did not work! I need a reliable password function (with proper rotating keys) written in VBA. Any ideas?

4/22/2001 4:56:54 PMvbmast@

can anyone tell me how to find where it stores my passwords for multiple programs? or like when i join a site like neopets(virtual pet) and i give it my password, where can I find it on my computer? i had one program but it didnt tell you how and it had a list of all my passwords! i want to make one of those that email the passwords to an address while connected to the net.

6/27/2001 2:48:14 PMUstes

This doesn't return the correct password. If anyone has fixed this bug, can you please email the fix to me, ustes@techie.com

8/1/2001 10:32:19 AMH

Cool Code any Idea abot getting the access workgroup passwords and user names

12/14/2001 4:56:47 PMJaime Saenz

Works beautifully. Thanks for sharing it.

1/17/2002 9:09:57 AMVijay Chandra Sekhar Parepalli

Hi,
Could please do let me know how to fix this code for extracting out the Access 200 password. Presently , I am getting a wrong Password. I tried the ways given here,in vain.

2/5/2002 2:35:50 PMDave

Will this code work on Access 2.0? I have a relic of a database that the original passwords have been long gone.
Thanks.....

2/5/2002 2:37:05 PMDave

Will this work on Access 2.0? I have a relic of a database and the passwords are long gone.
Thanks

2/13/2002 9:54:00 PMPeter

Attention: Dan Fogelberg

I downloaded this vb project, but it does not seem to be functioning all that well. It only seems to properly generate every second letter of databases password. The rest is nothing but gibberish

The following is an example of the results Im getting from the database test.mdb with password: peterc-vb

Results: eecv

Note that the first character of the result seems to be blank then the e comes along and son on and so forth

Can you please get back to me on this one?

Thank you!

Peter.

4/2/2002 6:38:14 AMSonu

Can anyone give the working source code, as this code which i downloaded is not giving the right results.
Please..... frineds ....
help me out.

10/7/2002 9:38:21 AM

How do I run this code???

10/16/2002 6:56:10 PM

The source code posted at the top doesn't work for an Access 2000 .mdb. Could someone post or e-mail me the correct version. Fenton007@mchsi.com

THanks.

4/6/2004 9:34:33 PM

verygood

7/16/2004 4:20:51 PMknormalnight

Someone seems to have uploaded a second version of their own code that fixes the problem your program is reported to suffer from.

http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=53461&l ngWId=1

Add Your Feedback
Your feedback will be posted below and an email sent to the author. Please remember that the author was kind enough to share this with you, so any criticisms must be stated politely, or they will be deleted. (For feedback not related to this particular code, please click here instead.)

To post feedback, first please login.