winzip icon

New Visual Basic 6.0 Installer (UPDATE 4-25-2017)

Email
Submitted on: 4/25/2017 12:56:24 PM
By: Rizalmartin 
Level: Advanced
User Rating: By 15 Users
Compatibility: VB 6.0
Views: 78459

This script converts the conventional Visual Basic 6.0 installer into new and compact setup using Inno Setup. Installing Visual Basic 6.0 on later version of Windows is getting harder due to its outdated installation method especially on Windows 10 where NTVDM is need to enable in order to run VB6 setup. This installation is solved by porting VB6 installation from MS ACME Setup to Inno Setup.

Benefits of Porting:
* Small and compact (Only 40+Mb single executable file.)
* Easy and less hassle installation (No reboot needed).
* Smart installation. The installer can detect what components are need to install.
* Can install on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1, Windows 10, WINE, and ReactOS with least or no problems.
* Application Virtualization and Desktop App Converter ready.

Notice:
* VB6-generic.iss, SP6-generic.iss, and VB6-VS6-generic.iss are Inno setup Script files.
* Use VB6-generic.iss for porting Visual Basic 6.0 installer CD.
* Use SP6-generic.iss for porting Visual Basic 6.0 SP6.
* Use VB6-VS6-generic.iss for porting Visual Studio 6.0 installer CD (Creates VB6 installer only).
* Having a knowledge in Inno script is an advantage for customizing this script.
* Use the output installer for personal use only. Always keep the conventional VB6/VS6 installers or CD for future use.
* Conventional VS6 SP6 will not work on these ported version.

Service Pack 6 For These Ports (also works on conventional installations):
* SP6 Only -- http://www.mediafire.com/download/6n7gkidz40tpuy6/VS6_SP6_setup.exe
* SP5 + SP6 -- https://www.mediafire.com/?sddct9mtkw2m9md

Instructions:
* Download the script file attached on this article.
* Download and install Inno Setup 5.4.3. Download link: http://files.jrsoftware.org/is/5/isetup-5.4.3.exe
* Copy all the contents of VB6/VS6 installer CD into a directory
* Place the inno setup script beside SETUP.EXE
* Open the script with Inno Setup.
* On menu bar click BUILD->COMPILE or press CTRL+F9
* Wait until it finish compiling.
* When compiling is finished. The created installer was on a folder named OUTPUT beside SETUP.EXE (For example if the path of setup.exe is C:\VB60, then the created installer is located at C:\VB60\OUTPUT)

UPDATE 4-25-2017: Improved script.
UPDATE 4-19-2017: Broken Data Environment on upon installation is fixed
UPDATE 4-22-2016: Script for porting VB6 Service Pack 6 is now included (by popular demand). See README for Service Pack 6 porting instructions

winzip iconDownload code

Note: Due to the size or complexity of this submission, the author has submitted it as a .zip file to shorten your download time. Afterdownloading it, you will need a program like Winzip to decompress it.Virus note:All files are scanned once-a-day by Planet Source Code for viruses, but new viruses come out every day, so no prevention program can catch 100% of them. For your own safety, please:
  1. Re-scan downloaded files using your personal virus checker before using it.
  2. NEVER, EVER run compiled files (.exe's, .ocx's, .dll's etc.)--only run source code.
  3. Scan the source code with Minnow's Project Scanner

If you don't have a virus scanner, you can get one at many places on the net including:McAfee.com

Other 7 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to tell us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
This submission should be removed because:

Your Vote

What do you think of this code (in the Advanced category)?
(The code with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor (See voting log ...)

Other User Comments

7/19/2015 4:30:24 AMdaveCarter

Thanks, will come in very useful ***** :D
(If this comment was disrespectful, please report it.)

8/4/2015 9:57:00 AMMaverick

Inno Setup download link doesn't work :-(

8/5/2015 1:43:32 PMjenny

Please add "service pack 6" to this script.
when i install vb 6.0 with this script, after that i can not install service pack 6.

8/8/2015 8:45:07 PMFixedKey

Wow. I had never considered taking this 17 year old installer and making it much more modern and compatible... and no reboot!
One improvement: On line 570 add shellexec on vb6.exe so the installer doesn't cause error 740 at the end.
Five balls from me. Thanks man!

8/17/2015 7:00:26 AMRizalmartin

Hello @jenny thanks for your concern. That error is now fixed. The output installer will allow upgrading to SP6 by using the existing SP6 package from microsoft. Please download the latest script. Thank you.

8/21/2015 10:53:09 AMOrdoConcept

Great job ! Work fine with US version. In localized version (French for example) the localisation dll (VB6FR.dll in the exemple) is missing. Not a real bug, but... ;-) . Thanks

2/15/2016 6:59:15 PMSorcerer

Still will not Allow installing of Service Packs

2/21/2016 10:53:20 AMdriscoll

Great but localized dll like vb6fr.dll and Service Packs are missing.

2/27/2016 12:33:55 AMBen

Is there a possibility to make an installation version of Inno Setup for the Service Pack 6 and 6b?

2/27/2016 8:45:12 PMRizalmartin

@Ben SP6 is already ported to Inno Setup. Here is the llink http://www.mediafire.com/download/6n7gkidz40tpuy6/VS6_SP6_setup.exe

3/1/2016 2:49:11 PMSorcerer

Do you happen to have SP5 ported to a Inno Setup because service pack 6 was not like the older ones it didn't include all the updates from the older packs so you have to install 5 then 6

3/18/2016 9:20:56 PMSorcerer

Could you upload the Inno Setup source files for the Service Packs.

There is no need to have Visual C++ and the other stuff in the Setup.

Also I would like to make a Setup for each Service Pack using the VB6 Service Pack files and not the Visual Studio 6 ones.

3/30/2016 5:28:54 PMFederico

Could someone share the compiled on Mediafire ? Thanx for the effort 5 from me too.

5/1/2016 4:31:50 AMphil

@Sorcerer: This might help ~ I think it should provide all you need for SP6, for any previous maintenance level of VB6. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=9183

7/5/2016 3:16:33 PM

Is there a possibility to make an installation version of Inno Setup for the Service Pack 6? I need to make it in another language, not english...

10/2/2016 11:27:15 AMSubramanian

Past 15 years i am working with vb. Your job is excellent and thank you this submission.

10/6/2016 2:09:31 AMMichael

When I try to compile Inno says
Line 36:
Source File "B:\Aditional Programs\VB\OS\SYSTEM\ASYCFILT.DLL" does not exist.
HELP

12/17/2016 11:42:53 PMbugfree

Great work!

Is it possible to port VC6 also as there are few components needed for COM/DCOM and etc.

1/28/2017 10:45:51 PMThank You!

Thank You very much. I even managed to install SP6 by extracting the files from the cab files with 7zip and correcting the paths in the script. One addition I would like you to make i to add Microsofts patch for adding mouse wheel support. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/837910/mouse-wheel-events-do-not-work-in-the-vi sual-basic-6.0-ide

1/31/2017 7:19:13 AMhiddy

Incredible and thanks so much...now we have modern VB6 installer. I have compiling script on Windows XP and testing on Windows 7. Very nice. But wait, I found bug on Tools Windows API Viewer shorcut "Unexpected Error; Quitting" but if i open by "Run as administrator" just one time, the problem was gone forever. How to fix it on Inno Setup script in order to open Windows API Viewer without open by "Run as administrator" ?

3/20/2017 3:29:36 PMDavid

Thank you for posting this. I do not normally post responses to messages like this, but this one has solved a problem that I have had for days.

4/25/2017 3:16:38 AMJohnE

Excellent job. Worked great with no hitches. I really appreciate it as I won't need to carry around an older, heavy laptop with an unsupported operating system (XP). Thank you so much for your effort. You're super.

4/25/2017 8:50:39 AMKenaso

Line 456 VB6-Generic should be updated or commented out or deleted. Otherwise, outstanding piece of work.

Source: C; DestDir:{fonts}; Flags:32bit ignoreversion uninsneveruninstall; Components:vb;

4/25/2017 12:58:09 PMRizalmartin

Thanks @Kenaso for reporting that bug. The script is now fixed

5/9/2017 11:57:02 AMVB6 Programming

Good to see VB6 programming continuing.

5/19/2017 7:38:56 PMVB6 Lover

Outstanding and cool!

5/24/2017 10:19:01 AMThomas

It is very useful site for VB6 lovers.

6/7/2017 12:16:48 AMJosé Quintas

Please let me understand about this.
VB6 includes Package and Development Wizard.
But later an update includes installer, to create msi and msm files.
Not sure about how installer this post is considering in comparasion.

6/9/2017 2:29:05 AMhiddy

I still found bugs on UPDATE 4-25-2017:

1.It should be add MSVBVM50.DLL on section [Files] because some exe files need it and cause error message "...because MSVBVM50.DLL is missing... bla..bla..bla" for example when running Tools>Crescent Upgrade Wizard and Tools>Process Viewer.
2.Line 131 VB6-Generic should be updated: .....DestDir:{app}\Common\Tools\UPWIZARD.....DestDir:{app}\Common\Tools\MIGRWIZ. Note: upwizard.mdb is in sub folder MIGRWIZ not UPWIZARD.

I have compiled and tested on WinXP, 7 and 10.

6/9/2017 2:39:51 AMhiddy

and again i found a bug on UPDATE 4-25-2017:

Error message "Unexpected error, quitting" when running Tools>Windows API Viewer but i don't know how to fix it.

6/13/2017 9:52:58 AMMika

This does not seem to work with Visdual Studio 6 enterprise cd. Could you explain how you managed to make this inno install file? Is there some sort of converter?

7/12/2017 7:46:41 PMMarovin

Wished I've seen it months ago.
Had to mess quite a bit to put everything to run under win7

7/15/2017 8:55:53 PMSimonW

This is excellent!

For the SP6 installer I had to make a change from this...

Source: OS\SYSTEM\MSSCRIPT.OCX; DestDir:{sys}; Flags:32bit regserver noregerror onlyifdoesntexist; Components:;

...to this...

Source: SUPPORT\MSSCRIPT.OCX; DestDir:{sys}; Flags:32bit regserver noregerror onlyifdoesntexist; Components:;

I was using the SP6 redistributable I've had since 2004.

Also on first run of the VB6 IDE after installation I got a "Method ~ of object ~" error, but only on the first time.

8/11/2017 4:36:42 PMLarry

I am a little out of date on INNO. In your instructions what does "Place the inno setup script beside SETUP.EXE" mean?

Thank you.

8/11/2017 11:17:05 PMLarry

I worked through my issue. I just want to say thank you for your work. Well done!

Add Your Feedback
Your feedback will be posted below and an email sent to the author. Please remember that the author was kind enough to share this with you, so any criticisms must be stated politely, or they will be deleted. (For feedback not related to this particular code, please click here instead.)

To post feedback, first please login.