Email
Submitted on: 7/15/2017 6:07:37 AM
By: Nicholas Forystek  
Level: Advanced
User Rating: Unrated
Compatibility: VB 6.0
Views: 9586
author picture

This is a function named DoTasks that is a DoEvents alternative. It is not a replacement, it is intended to act similar and manage Stack Overflows while embedding into component and even script run-time and still keep the messaging handled on timely ordered fashion on the clock between the tiers while the application does looping waits. I started it in efforts to alleviate the processor usage reading to what it really appears unstressed about, which is continued window message handling not stalled, I had wrote this piece. I realized my net clock readings wouldn't be accurate unless my CPU clock was, and i wanted to continue to use just looping like it is easier verses the event driven model. Unconventional rapid app conduct to the efficiency nature was my applicable attitude. It does in fact call DoEvents as well. I read two other alternatives to DoEvents, and with those in mind, I decided to loop PeekMessage contrary to discussion and I kept running into Stack Overflows on the debug the paved path to each time I kept and found backing out variants to finish about 6 of them even crossing with sockets in the midst, sensitive to touch down on a connection as if it is hauling for two systems when the socket is open transferring..

winzip iconDownload code

Note: Due to the size or complexity of this submission, the author has submitted it as a .zip file to shorten your download time. Afterdownloading it, you will need a program like Winzip to decompress it.Virus note:All files are scanned once-a-day by Planet Source Code for viruses, but new viruses come out every day, so no prevention program can catch 100% of them. For your own safety, please:
  1. Re-scan downloaded files using your personal virus checker before using it.
  2. NEVER, EVER run compiled files (.exe's, .ocx's, .dll's etc.)--only run source code.
  3. Scan the source code with Minnow's Project Scanner

If you don't have a virus scanner, you can get one at many places on the net including:McAfee.com

Other 11 submission(s) by this author

Report Bad Submission
Use this form to tell us if this entry should be deleted (i.e contains no code, is a virus, etc.).
This submission should be removed because:

Your Vote

What do you think of this code (in the Advanced category)?
(The code with your highest vote will win this month's coding contest!)
Excellent  Good  Average  Below Average  Poor (See voting log ...)

Other User Comments

10/24/2015 7:32:51 PMhelp

Hello, software ide link ? Ide project open help video ?
(If this comment was disrespectful, please report it.)

10/30/2015 8:15:49 AMNicholas Forystek

MaxIDE at https://www.neotext.org/ipub/apps/binary/Max-FTP%20v6.1.0.exe The IDE uses the same DoTask for DoEvents and there's examples.

11/18/2015 6:06:12 PMLorin

Sleep 1 is a very long time!
Why not use Sleep 0& instead?

9/10/2016 7:06:09 AMRobert Dee

There seems to be a problem with the zip file. Windows won't let me copy modDoTasks out of the zip ("unexpected error"). Nevertheless, it is an interesting idea. I use DoEvents in sub Main.

Add Your Feedback
Your feedback will be posted below and an email sent to the author. Please remember that the author was kind enough to share this with you, so any criticisms must be stated politely, or they will be deleted. (For feedback not related to this particular code, please click here instead.)

To post feedback, first please login.